The government today announced $ 9 billion in financial aid for post-secondary students in response to claims that too many young people were falling through the cracks in existing COVID-19 support programs.

Benefits Announced

  • Canada Student Service Grant (details below)
  • Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) (details below)

In addition, to help students continue their studies in the fall, the Government of Canada will:

  • doubling the Canada Student Grants for all eligible full-time students to up to $ 6,000 and up to $ 3,600 for part-time students in 2020-21.
  • enhance the Canada Student Loans Program by raising the maximum weekly amount that can be provided to a student in 2020-21 from $ 210 to $350
  • increase existing distinctions-based support for First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Nation students pursuing post-secondary education by providing an additional $ 75.2 million in 2020-21.
  • extend expiring federal graduate research scholarships and postdoctoral fellowships, and supplement existing federal research grants, to support students and post-doctoral fellows, by providing $ 291.6 million to the federal granting councils.


What is the Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG)?

It is a grant to help students gain valuable work experience and skills while they help their communities during the COVID‑19 pandemic. For students who choose to do national service and serve their communities, the new Canada Student Service Grant will provide up to $ 5,000 for their education in the fall. 


What is the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)?

It is a benefit that would provide support to students and new graduates who are not eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This benefit would provide $ 1,250 per month for eligible students or $1,750 per month for eligible students with dependents or disabilities. The benefit would be available from May to August 2020.


Who is eligible?

  • College and university students currently in school, planning to start in September, or who graduated in December 2019 are eligible.
  • Working students earning less than $1,000 per month can also apply.


Who is NOT eligible?

If you were eligible for CERB and already applied then you may not apply for CESB. But if you were NOT eligible for CERB and still applied and received money, then you should repay the amount you received and apply for CESB instead.

How to return/repay CERB

If you still have the original CERB cheque, then you can return the cheque by mail to the address below.
If you don’t have the cheque or were paid by direct deposit, you can mail your repayment to the CRA. Be sure to:

  1. make payment out to “Receiver General for Canada”
  2. indicate it to “Repayment of CERB”
  3. include your social insurance number (SIN).

Mail your payment to
Revenue Processing – Repayment of CERB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C1


When can I apply?

The proposed legislation still has to be passed in the House of Commons. More details will be announced by the Government of Canada after the bill has been passed.


How will I apply?

Payments will be made through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). More details regarding the application process will be announced soon. You will likely have to register for a My CRA account. You can follow the instructions below to register.

  1. Visit
  2. Click “CRA Register” under Option 2
  3. Enter your Social Insurance Number and click Next.
  4. Enter your Postal code, Date of Birth, an amount from one of your income tax and benefit returns, and click Next.
  5. Create a user ID and password.
  6. Create your security questions & answers.
  7. The CRA will then send you your “Security code” by mail. Alternatively, you can call CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281 to confirm your identity and have them email you the code instead.
  8. Then enter the security code to complete the sign-up process.

Please be advised that you will not be able to create an account if you have never filed a tax return before. 


Can I file a return now?

If you immigrated to Canada in 2019, you should file your 2019 income tax and benefit return regardless of whether you attended an educational institution or not. Even if you do not have any income in the year, you may want to file it so that the CRA can determine if you are eligible for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit, or if you or your spouse or common-law partner want to begin or continue receiving the Canada child benefit and other benefits from certain related provincial or territorial related programs.


When documents do I need to file my tax return?

You will need to provide

  • Date of entry in Canada
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) (upload a copy to our secure portal)
  • Direct deposit information (where you would want CRA to deposit your refund)
  • Tax organizer form filled out and signed by you.
  • T4s, T2202A Slips, etc (complete list available on the second page of Tax organizer


How can I share my tax-related documents?

You can upload your tax documents directly to For step-by-step instructions, please visit or

Instructions to Upload:

  1. Create a folder on your computer named “Family Tax Documents” if there are multiple family members or “My Tax Documents” if you are only filing it for yourself.
  2. Create a folder for each family member if there are multiple members.
  3. Create sub-folders within those folders to organize all your documents.
  4. Scan or take clear pictures and save them in relevant folders.
  5. Then visit and click “Upload Files
  6. In the window that pops up, drag-and-drop your “Family Tax Documents” or “My Tax Documents” into it.
  7. After files have finished uploading, send an email to to let us know that you have sent in the documents.
  8. We will then draft your return(s) and share a link to documents that you would need to sign and send back.
  9. You can verify your personal details in each document, sign them and upload your signed documents to
  10. We will then transmit your return to CRA and share a copy of your return electronically.

Changes to Canada Summer Jobs Program

The temporary changes to the program for this year include:
  • an increase to the wage subsidy, so that private and public sector employers can also receive up to 100% of the provincial or territorial minimum hourly wage for each employee
  • an extension to the end date for employment to February 28, 2021
  • allowing employers to adapt their projects and job activities to support essential services
  • allowing employers to hire staff on a part-time basis

Should you have questions about any of the above or to discuss your personal tax situation, please call or send us a message on WhatsApp at +1-905-507-0032 or contact us through our website or Facebook Page.

Comments are closed.