Who should register for WSIB coverage?
Most Ontario businesses that have employees (including family members and sub-contractors) must register with WSIB. You have 10 calendar days to register from the day you hire your first employee. If you are not registered with WSIB, and should be, you can voluntarily register your business for the first time. Not registering may result in penalties, investigation and provincial offences charge or having to repay retroactive premiums.
If you are unsure about whether you need to register your business, take the questionnaire at this page to help you determine if registration is required.
Whose earnings are you responsible for reporting?
You are responsible for insuring the people considered your workers:
- A worker is anyone you employ in your business under a contract of service or apprenticeship, including family.
- Full-time, part-time, seasonal or temporary employees, students, apprentices, learners and training participants.
- You – if you are an independent operator, sole proprietor, partner or executive officer in the construction industry (see wsib.on.ca for exceptions).
- A contractor or subcontractor is an individual or company that you enter into an agreement with to perform a service on your behalf. You are responsible for including the labour portion of your contractor’s contract as gross insurable earnings when you calculate your premium payment, if:
- they do not employ others, and
- the WSIB does not consider this contractor to be an independent operator. Contact us to confirm their status and be sure to keep copies of WSIB letters of confirmation.
How do I report WSIB premiums?
WSIB premiums can be reported using one of the following two methods:
- online on WSIB’s website See Instructions
- Visit https://login.wsib.ca
- Enter your email and password to log in.
- Once you’re logged in, click the Go button beside Report your premiums.
- Click the reporting period you want to report premiums for.
- Enter your insurable earnings and your premiums will be automatically calculated and submitted for you.
- To make a payment, you can go to the main menu and click on the Go button beside Pay your premiums (detailed instructions below).
- calculate and then report your premium(s) using the bottom portion of the Premium Remittance Form. See Instructions
How do I make a payment?
To make a payment, please use one of the following methods:
- electronically using bank’s internet banking services (processed in 2-3 days) – select “Workplace Safety & Insurance Board Ontario – schedule 1” as the payee;
- online with MasterCard, Visa, Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac Online See Instructions
- Visit WSIB’s ePayment page.
- Enter your Account Number and Firm Number.
- On the next page, enter your First name, Last name, Daytime phone number and email address. Then, select a payment method from the list.
- If you choose Credit Card or Debit Card, a form asking for your card information will appear. Please fill it out along with the payment amount and click Continue. (Please note that you will be charged a 1.75% service fee in addition to your premiums if you use this method).
- If you choose Interac Online, please click Continue. There is no service charge if you pay using Interac Online.
- On the next page, please review all details, read, understand and accept the terms and conditions and then click Make Payment.
- Once the transaction goes through, it will give you a confirmation number. Please save or print this page for your records.
- In-person at your financial institution or local WSIB office;
- By mail: P.O. Box 4115, Station A, Toronto, Ontario M5W 2V3. Please ensure that you mail the stub along with your payment at least 2 weeks before the due date) to avoid any late charges. Don’t forget to write your WSIB account number on the cheque and include your stub.
Please remember that if you pay online or at your financial institution, you still need to report your premiums online or by sending your stub to the WSIB before the due date.